Posted on: February 29, 2016
Why are So Many Dentists So Concerned about Diabetes and Oral Health?
If you have diabetes, you should know that you’re at higher risk to develop periodontal disease. Your dentist knows this, so you should start a conversation with him or her about diabetes and teeth, and what you need to do to preserve the health of yours. The Primary Problem with Diabetes and Oral Health According to recent research, people with diabetes face a much greater risk of having dental problems, such as a severe kind of gum disease called periodontal disease. Researchers found that the link between periodontal disease and diabetes is due to blood sugar control. People with diabetes often find it difficult to manage their blood sugar level. And when blood sugar isn’t controlled, this leads to a higher risk of major dental problems like periodontal disease. If you’re diabetic, you need to be aware of this risk with diabetes and teeth to protect yourself from problems. How to Handle this Dental Diabetic Danger Knowing the risks involved with periodontal disease and diabetes, you need to take precautions to protect your dental health. Luckily, taking care of your teeth and controlling your blood sugar level doesn’t have to be very hard. Just follow these simple suggestions:
- Monitor your blood sugar level closely to avoid complications with diabetes and teeth.
- Always keep your dentist up-to-date on the status of your diabetes.
- Maintain good dental habits at home, including brushing at least twice a day and flossing daily.
- If you notice any dental issues, call your dentist immediately.
- Go to the dentist for check-ups and cleanings every six months. You may need to visit more often if you have a history of diabetes and oral health problems.
- Postpone any non-emergency dental procedures if your blood sugar level is out of control.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Florida, call today at or make an appointment. Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Florida. With 20 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At , we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at .