We are open - safety is our top priority!
If you want a healthy, beautiful smile then you need healthy gums as well as healthy teeth. Up to half of Americans who are more than 30 years old have some stage of gum disease, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Gum disease starts as gingivitis and is also called periodontal disease.
In the early stages of periodontal disease, your gums can be swollen, they can be inflamed, they can be red, and they can bleed when you brush or floss your teeth. Left untreated, this condition can deteriorate into severe gingivitis and you can lose your teeth as well as the bone and ligaments in your jaw. Your teeth will loosen or fall out and you’ll need dentures or implants in order to maintain the structural stability of your jaw. This type of gum disease is the major cause of tooth loss for adults in the U.S. Your periodontal dentist is a gum disease specialist, so if you have gum disease or gingivitis, then call our periodontics office in Lakewood Ranch at (941) 462-3706, and we can help you regain your oral health.
How Is a Periodontist Different from My Regular Dentist?
A periodontal dentist is a gum disease expert who has completed a minimum of two years of specialty dental education in the area of gum disease management, cosmetic techniques, and dental appliances. Each periodontist working at our Lakewood Ranch office is skilled at providing high-quality periodontal services and we specialize in the following procedures:
- Periodontal disease treatment: The plaque that adheres to your teeth after drinking or eating is rife with bacteria, and when it’s left on your teeth, it can erode your tooth enamel and trigger the onset of decay. Brushing and flossing can remove the plaque, but people don’t always brush or floss after meals, so the bacteria starts attacking your teeth and you may develop cavities or decay. It can also attack your gums and trigger the onset of gum disease by breaking down the ligaments that secure your teeth and sometimes the bone itself.
- Dental implant placement: Dental implants are very popular because they look like your natural teeth and you care for them just like you would your natural teeth. They’re also used to anchor dental appliances and to provide structural stability to the jaw. Implants will help deter the onset of mouth wrinkles and maintain the alignment of your teeth. If you need dental implants, we can help you, so call our Lakewood Ranch office.
- Crown lengthening: The part of your tooth that’s above the gum line is called the crown and on some people, it can be very short. The crown may need to be lengthened for several reasons including aesthetics, the installation of braces or the installation of various dental appliances, such as a bridge or denture. If you have lots more gum tissue than you’d like, then some of your excess gum tissue can be removed in order to improve your smile.
- Gummy smile surgery: Those who have an uneven gum line or excess gum tissue sometimes opt to have this procedure performed so that their gum contour is more attractive and their teeth appear longer. Any of our dental specialists can help you with this procedure so that you have the smile you’ve always wanted.
- Soft tissue graft/ Gum grafting: If your gums have receded, you may have one or more teeth that have the roots exposed. A periodontal dentist in our office can perform a tissue graft that will cover the area that’s exposed, which will reduce the likelihood of additional gum recession, bone loss or decay.
- Oral pathology and oral cancer diagnosis: The prevalence of oral cancer has risen dramatically in the past decade and this is due, in part, to the increase in the incidence of HPV, or the human papillomavirus. HPV is now the leading cause of oral cancer, replacing smoking. If you have HPV and are concerned that you might have oral cancer, one of the gum disease specialists in our Lakewood Ranch office can take a tissue sample and submit it to a lab for evaluation. They’ll also discuss treatment options with you and help you decide on a course of treatment that will suit your lifestyle and your preferences.
- We use the Straumann Implant system with Straumann supported conjuntive services such as; bone grafting, tissue grafting and tissue membrane.
Whichever treatment you need, or if you need multiple treatments, call our Lakewood Ranch office today for a consultation. We’re experienced providing care for implant-supported bridge/denture, single implant, perio scaling & root planning, regenerative procedures, ridge modification, surgical procedures and oral sedation in the Lakewood Ranch area. Patient comfort is our priority, and we offer a variety of sedation methods so you’re sure to find one that suits you. Your gum disease specialist will cover all the details with you during your initial consultation. Call our Lakewood Ranch office today at (941) 462-3706 and make an appointment.
Do You Have Consultations Available Immediately with a Periodontist in Lakewood Ranch?
If you’re experiencing problems with your gums, then call our Lakewood Ranch office today and we’ll schedule an appointment for you at the earliest possible date. Don’t risk losing your teeth and your smile. We’ll be happy to answer all your questions and create a treatment plan that will accommodate your needs and your budget. If you need periodontics in Lakewood Ranch, call us at (941) 462-3706 to get your mouth back to good health and let a gum disease expert show you how to maintain good oral health.