COVID-19 Safety Message: Visit our practice with confidence – your safety is our top concern.
We’ve reopened in accordance with CDC, O.S.H.A., and State Dental Board guidelines to responsibly resume seeing our patients for regular dental appointments and treatment. We want to assure you of the measures we take to maintain a clean and safe environment so you can continue to receive needed dental care without fear or concern.
It’s natural for your teeth to accumulate stains and become discolored over time. However, with the variety of treatment options available to a teeth bleaching dentist, it’s easier than ever to achieve a whiter, brighter smile.
What Is In-Office Teeth Whitening?
Our professional teeth whitening treatments are an easy way to improve the look of your smile in as little as one treatment. With our powerful yet safe bleaching gel, it’s possible to remove stains, discoloration, and yellowing to reveal a whiter and brighter smile.
Professional whitening treatments are the most effective at removing stains on tooth enamel caused by smoking and consumption of certain foods and drinks, including coffee, tea, soda, and wine. However, certain types of tooth discoloration, such as tetracycline stains, discoloration caused by overexposure to fluoride, and advanced decay, are not susceptible to teeth whitening gels. In addition, professional whitening will not lighten dental restoration materials (crowns, veneers, bridges, and fillings). Lastly, professional whitening isn’t permanent, and you will need touch-up whitening treatments to maintain your sparkling smile. This can be performed in our office or with our at-home treatment.
Teeth Whitening at Home Overview
One of the most popular methods for teeth whitening can be performed at a time that’s convenient for you in the comfort of your own home. If you choose this whitening option, you’ll come to our office for two separate appointments. During the first appointment, we’ll take impressions of your mouth to create a custom-made whitening tray. At your second appointment, your dentist will ensure that the tray fits over your teeth securely. The whitening trays are made of a clear plastic material and are similar in appearance to a mouth guard. You’ll dispense our professional-grade bleaching gel into the trays and wear them for about an hour each day. If you wear the trays consistently, you can lighten your teeth up to six shades within two weeks.
What Is the Cost of Teeth Whitening?
Whether you choose a take-home whitening kit or receive an in-office whitening treatment is one of the primary factors in how much you pay for teeth whitening. Most patients can expect to pay more for an in-office teeth whitening treatment, although there are other variables that can affect your total cost. These include the total number of whitening treatments you need, whether you require any follow-up treatments, and the level of your tooth discoloration.
Because it’s considered a cosmetic treatment, professional whitening is not typically covered by dental insurance. For more information about pricing, please get in touch with us to make an appointment. During your consultation, you’ll receive an estimate of your teeth bleaching cost.
Professional vs. DIY Teeth Whitening: Which Is Better?
While you might think that over-the-counter teeth whitening products and professional treatments provide similar results, the whitening gel used by a teeth bleaching dentist is more powerful and provides faster, more consistent results compared to do-it-yourself options. There are a lot of options available for these types of products, including whitening strips, toothpaste, and rinses, but they lack the strength and consistency provided by professional treatment. When these products are used incorrectly, there’s even a chance of irritation or damage to your tooth enamel. Having your teeth whitened by your dentist eliminates these types of concerns, ensuring that you achieve your desired whitening results in a supervised environment.
What Is the Teeth Whitening Procedure?
The steps for an in-office teeth whitening procedure can vary depending on the whitening system used by your dentist. All it takes is about an hour to have a noticeably whiter smile. Refer to the following steps to learn what to expect during a standard teeth whitening treatment:
- Your teeth are examined and thoroughly cleaned before beginning treatment.
- To document the current shade of your teeth, and help monitor your progress after treatment, photos of your teeth may be taken.
- A device called a cheek retractor is placed into your mouth to expose all visible teeth.
- A protective liquid is placed on your gums to prevent contact with the whitening gel.
- After all the prep work, your dentist carefully applies the whitening or bleaching gel to the surface of your teeth. The gel will remain on your teeth for a specific length of time. You will most likely need several applications in order to help you achieve your desired level of whitening.
- Some bleaching gels use a light to activate.
- Your whitening results are carefully monitored by your dentist between applications of the bleaching gel to determine if another application of whitening gel is needed.
- After the last application of whitening gel, the cheek retractor is removed and your teeth are rinsed. Your dentist will evaluate the color changes of your teeth and determine if another follow-up whitening treatment or at-home treatment is needed.
Take the first step towards feeling confident about your smile with teeth whitening in Temple Terrace. Contact our practice to make an appointment.